STATE

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo reaffirms New York’s commitment to the Paris Agreement

President Donald Trump withdrew the United States from the Paris Agreement on Thursday.

New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Thursday reaffirmed the state’s commitment to the Paris Agreement on climate change after President Donald Trump announced the United States’ withdrawal from the pact.

Shortly after Trump’s speech, Cuomo issued an executive order maintaining New York state’s climate and clean energy goals. He also announced the formation of the U.S. Climate Alliance, a coalition of states dedicated to upholding the terms of the Paris Agreement on climate change.

“We will not ignore the science and reality of climate change,” Cuomo said in a statement.

The executive order signed by Cuomo on Thursday affirms New York state’s climate and clean energy goals, including a 40 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2030 and an 80 percent reduction in emissions by 2050.

Investments in New York state’s clean energy initiatives and programs that help communities adapt to climate change will continue, according to the order. The order also condemns the federal government’s withdrawal from the Paris Agreement, echoing statements Cuomo made Thursday.

“(Trump’s) administration is abdicating its leadership and taking a backseat to other countries in the global fight against climate change,” Cuomo said.

The Paris Agreement — a landmark environmental accord intended to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions — was signed by 195 nations in 2015.

Despite the U.S. dropping out of the pact, Cuomo, California Gov. Jerry Brown and Washington Gov. Jay Inslee announced their respective states would become founding members of the U.S. Climate Alliance.

States in the alliance will remain committed to reducing emissions by 26 to 28 percent and meeting the targets of the federal Clean Power Plan, according to the statement from Cuomo’s office. The alliance will also establish a forum to maintain and strengthen existing climate programs, promote information sharing and implement new carbon emission-reduction programs.

“Today’s announcement by the president leaves the full responsibility of climate action on states and cities,” Inslee said.

Cuomo, Brown and Inslee will serve as co-chairs of the new alliance.